Stitching Times serves up stories, examples and tutorials about needlework related crafts, especially quilting and crochet. Almost all of the projects shown have been designed by Kay Stephenson

Friday, February 25, 2011

Trivets to Table Runners

Whenever we visit family we have typical farmhouse meals with a half dozen hot side dishes. Each of these needs a trivet or hot pad to protect the table, making the five minutes before we sit down to eat a real scramble. It occurred to me that an insulated table runner would help the pre-dinner rush, and make a pretty table.
With that in mind, I set about designing a couple of table runners that matched two different sets of dishes we sometimes use.
Franciscan Apple at Aunt Pat's table
Franciscan Desert Rose at my mother-in-law's house
I picked two theme fabrics to tie to the dishes, and then others to coordinate.

The design for the table runner tops was quite straightforward, but I embellished the design by adding appliqué to extend the theme fabric elements beyond the lines of the blocks.

I further enhanced the runners by hand quilting ¼ inch from the seams and around the appliqué.

The batting in the quilt sandwich is Insul-bright, which provides an added layer of heat protection.

A set of coordinating napkins for each table runner completed the gifts, and will make table setting easy the next time we visit.

2 comments:

  1. You know? I have been thinking about starting a new table runner and a set of napkins for the folks in the grey cottage ... I always seem to give my quilted projects away and it seems time to make something for Hiel and I to share with guests. The idea of insulated batting on a runner is a great idea! I am, though, going to spring for real linen napkins. When I made those napkins last year for my friends' daughter and her new husband, I loved the result! Made them over large to allow for some shrinkage and recommended a Scotchguard spray for grease protection... did you see those photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Susan. I do remember those napkins. Real linen is a great idea. I've never tried the scotch guard spray, but will have to get some and experiment. Might be a great way to treat items you are making for babies too. I tend to go with white cotton damask for napkins when I can find it. Then I pre-treat or bleach if need be.

    ReplyDelete