Stitching Times serves up stories, examples and tutorials about needlework related crafts, especially quilting and crochet. Almost all of the projects shown have been designed by Kay Stephenson

Monday, February 4, 2013

One for Me, and One for You, and One for You Too!


I think I've established that I’m a huge fan of scarves – especially lightweight cotton scarves that we can wear here in the South where it seldom is cold enough for heavy wool. When I saw this beautiful double faced gauze online at Fashion Fabrics Club, I couldn't resist buying a couple of yards in half a dozen (OK seven) different colorways. It is light and warm and breathable – perfect for a southern scarf to wear as an accessory from fall through spring. I made one in each fabric for myself.
OK. I know that’s All For Me, but then I decided to make one for two favorite girlfriends who both have birthdays this month. I think my Mom is responsible for my love of gift giving. She always made a point to try and find just the right gift for each person – especially for birthdays. She always said that it was OK to have some socks mixed in with the Christmas gifts, but birthdays were different.
I have to admit, there is nothing quite like hearing an ooh of delight when someone opens a gift. And when they promptly put that gift on and wear it throughout the party, you know it really is appreciated. Such was my experience last weekend as we celebrated with my friend Alice.
Why yes. That is a barrel full of monkeys she’s playing with. Growing up is overrated!
These scarves couldn't be easier to make. If you can, find double faced gauze. Many of the fabrics I chose are sold out now, but some are still available like the Grey/Black/Brown Plaid that I used for my friend Joan’s scarf. If you can’t find gauze that is already double faced, buy two contrasting or complimentary fabrics – preferably gauze, but a light cotton lawn or batiste would work well too.
You will need two yards of each fabric and this will make four scarves or two scarves and a wider shawl. Most gauze fabric doesn't have a right and wrong side because it is thread dyed. That means the color is applied to the thread and the pattern is woven in as opposed to fabric that is woven and then dyed or printed.

If you are not using fabric that is already double faced, match up the fabrics (with wrong sides together if there is a right and wrong side) and then cut the fabric lengthwise down the middle. Subcut each of these pieces lengthwise again leaving four strips that are 14 – 15 inches wide and three yards long. My fabric was 57 inches wide, but if you are using fabric that is closer to 45 inches wide, cut into thirds instead of fourths.
After the fabric is cut, sew the edges together all the way around leaving a ½ to ¾ inch seam allowance. Use a fairly short stitch so that the loose gauze layers will not slip the stitches once the edge of the scarf is raveled. To make the raveled edge, you want to pull out all of the threads that run parallel to the seam. This part of the project is a bit tedious, but if you pick at it while watching TV, or over a glass of wine with friends, it goes quickly.
When you think you have removed all of the threads, run the scarf through a regular wash (be careful of bright colors that might run) and dry on low. The scarf will be quite crinkly if you have used cotton gauze and maybe a bit less so if you are using a different fabric. If you like that look, you’re done. If you like a look that is a bit more polished, just iron the scarf on the cotton setting with steam. Give it a try and enjoy!
By the way, that one on the bottom is my favorite. It really perks up a simple burgundy outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment