Stitching Times serves up stories, examples and tutorials about needlework related crafts, especially quilting and crochet. Almost all of the projects shown have been designed by Kay Stephenson

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Summer Scarves

Keeping it up with the process pledge, this post isn’t about a quilt, but it is about something in process. Remember back in June when I was going on about an embroidered gauze shawl? Well what I didn’t tell you is that in the process of finding the fabric for the teal wrap, I also bought all of this...
Blerg! It’s a whopping total of twelve yards of bubble gauze fabric. How did that happen? I have piles of fabric in search of a project, and I think I’ve been here before.
This little summer scarf project won’t use up a tenth of it, but it’s a start. Maybe if I make one for me and one for a friend in each color?
They are a snap to make – especially if you have a sewing machine that does some fancy stitch work, and a well stocked thread drawer. Gutermann Natural Cotton is my current favorite.
I also love that this raveled edge is built in. That’s the selvage edge. I did hem the other side, top and bottom, but all together, this scarf took about an hour to make. If you like you can use a liquid fabric stabilizer and press the gauze to make it flat for stitching. Just wash it afterward and the crinkles snap right back into place. Just be careful about mixing with other laundry as they all run like crazy. What did you expect for under $4.00 a yard?

7 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I've linked to this project on AllFreeSewing.com. I think it's a great project our readers will love to make. Here's the link:
    http://www.allfreesewing.com/Accessories-to-Sew/Raveled-Edge-Summer-Scarf

    If you have any questions or would like to see more of your ideas on the site, please feel free to contact me.

    Thanks!

    Kirsten
    Editor
    AllFreeSewing.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words and the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are putting effort in making one for your friends. That's sweet. I'm pretty sure they're going to like it and appreciate your sweetness. In fact, I am also making crochet scarves which is a surprise for a very good friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the length and width of the scarf?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy,
    I made scarves 2 to 2 1/2 yards long because that was the lengths of fabric I had. Each scarf is about 10 inches wide, which shrinks up to more like 8 inches because of the "crinkle" in the gauze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you sew them? What do you mean by fancy stitching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cut the fabric lengthwise into roughly 10 inch wide by length of fabric strips. You can hem the raw edges by hand or machine. Alternatively you can stay stitch about a 1/2 inch from the raw edge and then let the raw edge ravel when it is washed. With this method you want to use a short stitch so that it holds in the fairly loose woven gauze. By fancy stitches I just mean any decorative stitches you machine might have like zig-zags and other designs

      Delete