Stitching Times serves up stories, examples and tutorials about needlework related crafts, especially quilting and crochet. Almost all of the projects shown have been designed by Kay Stephenson

Monday, February 17, 2014

The Modern Quilt Guild Riley Blake Challenge

Quilt Front
Last fall I signed up for the Riley Blake Challenge with the Modern Quilt Guild, and today is the day! All quilts have to be finished and photos posted on the guild website. today. I finished mine a couple of weeks ago and posted it there, but waited until today for the big reveal here.
Quilt back
Fabric I was given
I was provided initially with this stack of fabrics. There were six cuts that were each ten by ten. Though others have made quilts for the challenge that used all of the fabrics, I just couldn't wrap my mind around including all of them, so I pulled the blue check and yellow dot and decided to work with the rest, plus more fabric I purchased and pulled from stash.

Fabric I used
A couple of these fabrics are ombres, which means that they shade from light to dark and back to light across the width of the fabric. As you can see in the finished quilt photo, I tried to leverage that gradation in the quilt so that the background values are lighter at the top shading to darker at the bottom.
You may also recognize the design of the quilt as a simpler version of Tetris Hex that I made for one of my nieces. I've finally managed to write the pattern for that one, and you can find it here, along with comments to make this Riley Blake quilt as well. 

Isn't it great to start the week writing about something that has been accomplished? Now on to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment