Stitching Times serves up stories, examples and tutorials about needlework related crafts, especially quilting and crochet. Almost all of the projects shown have been designed by Kay Stephenson

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Guernsey Scarf


Back in October Jared Flood, (also known as Brooklyn Tweed in yarn circles), released Shelter, an artisanal yarn with Wyoming grown wool from Targhee-Columbia sheep. It is spun in Harrisville, New Hampshire, a town with a long textile history.Knitch, was one of the few yarn shops to receive early shipments of the yarn, and since they are right around the corner from my house, I had to run right in and look. I was quite taken with the color names like Long Johns, Hayloft, and Homemade Jam.
I also was inspired by a pattern Jared designed for a Guernsey wrap.  I knew I wouldn’t wear a wool wrap, but I loved the texture in the design. Of course it was a pattern to knit, and I prefer to crochet as well, so I decided I needed to work out my own design for a crocheted scarf.  

I also was inspired by a pattern Jared designed for a Guernsey wrap.  Though I knew I wouldn't wear a wool wrap, I loved the texture in the design. Also, it was a pattern to knit, and I prefer to crochet, so I needed to work out my own design for a crocheted scarf.
The first version of the scarf was made from a couple of skeins of  Stonehedge Fiber Mill's Shepherd's Wool that I already had. When I design on the fly, I tend to try different patterns, widths, etc. and rip them out until I’m satisfied. That can be tough on yarn, though I must admit the Shepherd’s Wool held up well.
The final design uses a mixture of grit stitch, and three post stitches: vertical ribs, cables and steps. In between each band I inserted horizontal ribs of rear loop single crochet. 

Once I was happy with the design, I wiped up another in the red “Long Johns” color of Shelter. No gifting here. I will wear both often.
To see some of Jared Flood's knit patterns Take a look at Made in Brooklyn or Knits Men Want.

No comments:

Post a Comment